Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Pay: $100,000 - $110,000 annually
For over 30 years, CureSearch for Children’s Cancer has been a driving force in pediatric cancer research. We fund research that drives new, more effective, and less toxic therapies to the clinic, and our scientific agenda has propelled us to the top in the pediatric cancer arena. Funding research with a clear path to clinical trial, our unique strategy accelerates the development of better treatments for the more than 17,000 children diagnosed each year. Our purpose-driven team collaborates in a remote, supportive, and connected environment. If you’re a science-focused leader looking to make an impact in a mission-driven organization, this position is for you!
Learn more about our mission at www.curesearch.org.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Research & Programs will play a critical role in implementing CureSearch’s groundbreaking initiatives to move us closer to ending childhood cancer.
You’ll lead the department and work alongside best-in-class volunteer researchers and physicians from renowned academic institutions globally to set the scientific research agenda and direction for the organization. To ensure that the organization continues its standards of scientific excellence, the Director will administer and manage its Request for Applications (RFA) process and engage at a high level with the Board of Directors and volunteer leadership councils.
SCIENTIFIC STRATEGIC PLANNING
- Drive the organizational research strategy and scientific initiatives relevant to pediatric cancer drug development
- In conjunction with the CEO and advisory councils, develop and execute CureSearch’s annual Pediatric Early Development Symposium (PEDS)
- Lead the Scientific Advisory Council and facilitate quarterly meetings to address major obstacles or opportunities in pediatric cancer drug development and foster industry/academia collaboration
ADIMINISTRATION OF CURESEARCH'S RESEARCH GRANT PORTFOLIO
- Initiate and develop, in concert with leading scientific experts, requests for applications in pediatric cancer research utilizing Proposal Central’s platform
- Identify, evaluate, and prioritize translational and clinical research grant applications in pediatric cancer drug development and oversee all aspects of the grant application scientific review process, including coordination of the Scientific Review Committee, Scientific Advisory Council, and Industry Advisory Council evaluations of grant applications
- Actively engage with funded researchers to monitor progress and manage milestones, presenting researchers’ reports to the councils
- Foster connections with industry and regulatory agencies
SUPPORT OF IMPACT COMMUNICATIONS
- Work closely with internal teams to provide necessary information to support partnerships and fundraising
- Provide information for quarterly research progress reports and bi-annual impact reports for donors, the Board of Directors, and other stakeholders
- As requested, collaborate with the Communications department and experts in the field to develop educational content on pediatric cancer research progress and drug development
- Serve as liaison to pediatric cancer advocacy groups
- Attend relevant scientific research conferences, forums, and panels
Work Hours, Travel & Other Requirements
- CureSearch offers a flexible work environment in a remote setting.
- The incumbent will work at home and while performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to: regularly spend long hours sitting and using a phone and computer; regularly present to others and attend meetings and be able to clearly communicate information that is scientific; occasionally lift 5-10 pounds.
- Attend CureSearch meetings and scientific forums as required. Other travel may be required depending on activities related to the role.
- A MS, PhD, or equivalent degree in a relevant biomedical discipline
- Research experience in cancer biology or a related field. Knowledge of the drug discovery process in translational and/or clinical research is preferred
- A minimum of two years’ experience with research grant applications and peer review
- Strong project and time management skills with attention to detail. Proposal Central experience a plus
- Able to effectively present and communicate to both scientific and lay audiences and customize information for constituents
- Experience working with and able to influence volunteers, key opinion leaders, partner organizations, donors, and team members
- Able to work cross-departmentally in a small organization with a large impact
We offer an autonomous and flexible remote work environment with a team that is welcoming, supportive, and connected. We’re scattered across the U.S. but we feel like we’re sitting next to each other (when we need to be). We do our best work laughing and learning from each other. CureSearch offers fair and competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid time off, wellness, medical, dental, vision, life, short/long-term disability, and retirement with match. As a remote team, we also offer equipment and phone stipends.
“Curesearch is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that no one should be discriminated against because of their differences, such as age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, religion or sexual orientation. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law. Curesearch is committed to providing veteran employment opportunities to our service men and women."
CureSearch is committed to providing fair and equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. Please apply if this is a role that will get you excited to come to work each day. Our team comprises purpose-driven and caring individuals with different professional and personal backgrounds. We support and learn from each other and hope to do that with you!
If you'd like to learn more about us and this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter briefly describing your relevant experience by December 15, 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CureSearch is committed to providing fair and equal employment opportunities to all employees, interns and applicants. Please apply if this is a role that will get you excited to come to work each day. Our team is made up of purpose-driven and caring individuals with different professional and personal backgrounds. We support and learn from each other and hope to do that with you!