Late Effects of Kidney/Wilms Tumor
After a patient finishes treatment for cancer, there is still a need for lifelong follow-up medical care as there are likely to be late effects of cancer and treatment.
The potential late effects following treatment for kidney cancer depend upon the type of cancer and the type of therapy received along with many other factors.
There are a couple of very important resources that patients and families should be aware of after treatment for children’s cancer. The Childhood Cancer Survivor Long-Term Follow-Up Guidelines, available at www.survivorshipguidelines.org, is a comprehensive set of healthcare screening guidelines designed for use by health care providers. In addition to the guidelines for healthcare providers, there is a series of Health Links that contain important information for patients regarding their long-term health. These Health Links cover a wide range of topics to assist patients in managing their ongoing health care. Your healthcare provider can review them with you.
Survivors of all cancers will benefit from learning more about the following topics:
- Reducing the risk of second cancers
- School and learning issues after children’s cancer
- Finding appropriate healthcare after children’s cancer
- Emotional issues after children’s cancer
You can also learn about some of the more common issues of concern to survivors of tumors of the kidney by reviewing the following articles:
- Kidney health after treatment for children’s cancer
- Heart problems after treatment for children’s cancer
- Reproductive issues after treatment for children’s cancer
- Hearing problems after children’s cancer