Late Effects of Germ Cell Tumors
The potential late effects following treatment for a germ cell tumor depends on the therapy received and the age at which your child received therapy, as well as many other factors.
There are a couple of very important resources that you should be aware of as a survivor of children’s cancer. The Childhood Cancer Survivor Long-Term Follow-Up Guidelines is a comprehensive set of healthcare screening guidelines designed for use by health care providers. In addition to the guidelines for healthcare providers, there is a series of Health Links that contain important information for patients regarding their long-term health. These Health Links cover a wide range of topics to assist patients in managing their ongoing health care. Your healthcare provider can review them with you.
Survivors of all cancers will benefit from learning more about the following topics:
- Reducing the risk of second cancers
- School and learning issues after children’s cancer
- Finding appropriate healthcare after children’s cancer
- Emotional issues after children’s cancer
You can also learn about some of the more common issues of concern to survivors of germ cell tumor by reviewing the following articles:
- Kidney health after treatment for children’s cancer
- Reproductive issues after treatment for children’s cancer
- Hearing problems after children’s cancer
- Pulmonary health after treatment for children’s cancer